Mentoring Groups Roles¶
- Communicate with your Mentor about your goals and needs.
- Attend scheduled meetings and participate actively or let your Mentor know you won’t be attending.
- Be respectful of other Mentees and Mentors. Provide a safe space for questions and mistakes.
Be either a newly certified Software or Data Carpentry instructor or be in the process of completing certification. Generally Mentees will have taught one or no workshops, but may have been helpers before.
- Decide on a meeting schedule with your Mentees.
- Personalize meetings based on Mentee’s needs and desires.
- Respond promptly to emails from your Mentees.
- Follow up with Mentees who miss meetings.
- Be respectful of Mentees. Provide a safe space for questions and mistakes.
- Report Mentee attendance and progress to mentoring coordinator.
~4 hours/month for 3-5 months (or longer if accepting new Mentees). This breaks down to about 2 hours prep, 1 hour meeting and 1 hour answering emails per month. Variable depending on meeting frequency and prep time.
Certified instructors who have taught at least 2 workshops.
- Recruit mentors and mentees for the Mentoring Program.
- Pair Mentors and Mentees based on responses to Google form surveys.
- Send email introductions for each mentoring team.
- Follow up with each mentoring team on a monthly basis and ask if there’s anything you can do to help.
- Keep track of program completion rates to assess success.
- Get feedback from Mentors and Mentees about program.